The State of New Jersey requires that all full-time college students maintain health insurance and provide proof of insurance at least annually to the college where they are enrolled. Further, the State requires that colleges offer a student health insurance plan to students without health insurance. Full-time TCNJ students have an opportunity to provide proof of health insurance coverage during set waiver periods prior to the start of the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who do not provide proof of health insurance are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), for the upcoming semester and billed for the cost. Undergraduate students are full-time at 3 or more units per semester; graduate students at 9 or more credit hours per semester.
In association with changes to Federal Law regarding student health insurance, it is important that you are aware of changes with the student health insurance plan and waiver process for the upcoming academic year. They are as follows:
- Full time students are automatically enrolled in SHIP, which starts on June 30, 2012 (in previous years, the date was August 15th). The policy end-date is June 29, 2013 but may be extended to August 14, 2013. Using the plan obligates you to pay the full premium.
- If the policy year end is extended to August 14, 2013 there will be no additional premium, though no additional benefits will be added, the policy period would just be extended.
- Prescription benefits will increase to $500 per year. The 2011-12 prescription benefit coverage was $300.
- The opportunity to waive enrollment in SHIP and provide proof of other health insurance will change to an ANNUAL process, rather than twice per year. This means that students submitting a waiver form in the summer preceding the Fall Semester will be opting out of enrollment in SHIP for the entire 2012-13 academic year (Fall & Spring Semesters).
- Once a student submits a waiver form, they have “opted-out” for both the Fall and Spring Semesters. There will be NO opportunity to enroll in SHIP at a later time in the academic year UNLESS the student unintentionally loses their health insurance (e.g., ages out, parent loses job) at which time they are required by law to immediately obtain other health insurance or enroll in SHIP.
- The Waiver Period for the 2012-13 Academic Year will begin on July 12, 2012 and end on August 28, 2012. Students will only be able to submit their Waiver Form from their PAWS account. More information on the waiver process will be included in your Fall 2012 billing email.
- Part-time students, though not required by law to maintain health insurance, can enroll in SHIP voluntarily by completing the Enrollment Form (located on the web at www.bollingerinsurance.com/tcnj after July 1) and submitting payment to Student Accounts. The enrollment deadline is SEPTEMBER 15, 2012 for the Fall semester and FEBRUARY 15, 2013 for the Spring semester.
- Questions about the student health insurance plan can be directed to Student Health Services at 609-771-2889 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the Waiver Process can be directed to Student Accounts at 609-771-2172. The College of New Jersey is once again proud to offer the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
The 2012-13 Student Health Insurance Plan is an ILLNESS and ACCIDENT plan with PRESCRIPTION ($500 for the policy year), MENTAL HEALTH and WELLNESS benefits. The Plan is administered by Bollinger Insurance Solutions and is unique to The College of New Jersey. It was designed specifically to meet the general health care needs of TCNJ students. The cost is $324.00 per policy year.
- SHIP Brochure 2012-2013
- SHIP Master Policy 2012-13
- SHIP Plan Information 2012-13
- Health care providers in the SHIP network
- For part time students and full time students adding dependent coverage
- Claim Form
Note that a claim form must be submitted to the SHIP within 90 days of a chargeable service or as soon as reasonably possible. A claim form is required for filing a claim.
- Status of a claim
More information about how SHIP works: e-mail us at email@example.com or contact Sandra Whaley at 609-771-2484.